Saturday, March 04, 2006

Back-breaking Oscar potterings

The Oscars scheduled tomorrow is a subject far better penned by my fellow colleague Neal Zoren, entertainment correspondent from time to time on CN8 and in the Delaware printed media.

Nevethless, I did comment in December that Oscar should look favorably on King Kong and there are a couple of nominations. Brokeback Mountain I have not seen, but am aware of the subject and the following on jokes banded around.

Oscar rarely nods to popularity the films that the paying public watch in the theaters. Shame! Last year Peter Jackson won big after the third of the Lord of the Rings films. I have all three in my DVD collection and Oscars nod was just reward. This year I am reminded of the year American Beauty won best film and reinforced that Oscar is more about the Hollywood politics rather than Hollywood popularity and honest-to-goodness entertainment.

Walk the line a phenominally popular film will more than likley be steamrolled by Brokeback unjustly within a little more than 24 hours we will know for certain and I will be eating crow, or vindicated!

I will not be watching the Oscars this year, my true interest is limited to one British film and one only. Wallace and Gromit and the case of the were-rabbit. I watch this last weekend with my daughter, it was simply hilarious and a fitting triumph to Aardman Animinations if Oscar heads to Bristol this weekend.

Mr. Movie I am not... but I know what I like and respectfully the people not members of the academy should decide on the winners of the most prestigious awards in the film industry but tradition is what it is. The Academy vote and while Hollywood politics plays over Hollywood popularity things are not going to change.

No comments: