Saturday, October 02, 2010

Dear reader...


Absence it is said makes the heart grow fonder. However in a world of instant communication, email and social media, who remembers London Chimes? Who remembers what a blog is.. or was?

London Chimes was my main personal blog for many years but I intend to knock the e-dust off the cover of this, work on the page layout and promote myself on Twitter and Facebook neither of which had the following that they have now.

Personally, nothing much has changed, I still live the suburbs of Philadelphia. Only better 'burbs than before. I love my wife and daughter very much and continue to be inspired through my work and the volunteers who step up to help improve the lives of others with multiple sclerosis.

My perspective on life continues to broaden.

A recurring theme on London Chimes in the past has been train disasters. Today the headline news is about an accident in India that is being blamed on signalling. But I ask for your indulgence as I wanted to bring to your attention two books by Clive Cussler & Justin Scott. The Chase and The Wrecker from a new series introducing us to Isaac Bell and the Van Doren Detective Agency. Unlike other books that are contemporary in nature. These are set about 100 years ago. Both involve to a some degree the growth of the railroad across America.

In typical fashion, I heard the second book first. Heard, not read. I have been introduced this year to the pleasure of audio-books which is my new vice to help me on my commute each day. I stumbled upon a wonderful audio talent Scott Brick who truly brings the books the life. A recent vacation gave me the opportunity read book one (The Chase - pictured) and this week I have returned to book two on CD as this offers a fresh perspective on the building of some of the main characters.

Find out how a train is found at the bottom of a large lake in Montana!

The Wrecker... book two is playing in my car this week, is full of dasterdly dealings and more than a couple of accidents on the rails to light the imagination. Aided by Mr. Brick.

Once in a while I am fortunate to stumble upon a fictional book series of note. Ted Bell, and his Hawke series have I understand just published the next installment. I would describe this as James Bond with a dash of The Persuaders Lord Brett Sinclair will give you a flavor. I am looking forward to reading this next summer perhaps.

Tom Clancy, master of them all has it is rumored a new Jack Ryan book in the offering due closer to the end of the year. Two of my favorite characters, John Clark and Ding Chavez are in the next plot which I hope will add a little spice and return to the days when Clancy was at his best.
With the holidays approaching... any offering unabridged by Scott Brick would be most welcome in my stocking on Christmas morning. However my collection of his offerings by Cussler is growing.

I am delighted to be back and hope to add a little something each week!


No comments: