Saturday, November 20, 2010

Thanksgiving 2010

"The attitude of gratitude".

With thanksgiving just a few days away, I wanted to share my perspective of this most inclusive of American holidays and why I beleive it is one that should live in all of our hearts throughout the year. (Without getting too mushy).

On a scale of one through ten, how grateful are you towards others year-round. Five perhaps.. more? Less?

Since arriving in America, I made an effort of making eye-contact and be polite to people I would meet. Not making this effort would give an outward impression of rudeness, something that I would like to think I am not. In no time effort gave way to habit, and a great habit to have.

If you like to be thanked and appreciated, do-as-you-would-be-done-by!

Year-round I work with volunteers, "thank you" is a small word for what all of these people do to help others. Yet is it the most appropriate expression of sincere gratitude I can share with them each day.

This approach typically goes against the british-reserve, where even eye-contact is avoided. for example there can be over 914 passengers on a tube train in London, with not one person making eye-contact to another.

Common-courtsey goes a long way, and trust me, will make you feel better too.

I digress!

Thanksgiving encapsulates a year-round habit of thanks. "Lets Celebrate" with those near and dear to us, but equally importantly let us continue to build an attitude of gratitude for our fellow man.

No comments: